We welcome ALL who wish to serve to join our organization! We do not haze. In order to successfully rush, you must attend ONE Information Session, ONE Leadership workshop, ONE Fellowship event, and TWO Service events (for a total of FIVE events). All events attended will count towards your Pledging requirements.
Letter of Intent:
All Rushes must complete a brief letter of intent, roughly one page, 12pt font, double-spaced. In this letter, we ask you to answer the following questions:
-How did you hear about APO?
-Why are you interested in joining?
-What do you hope to gain from this experience?
-What will you bring to the Brotherhood?
These letters will not be subjectively evaluated. Please send the letters of intent to email@example.com with the subject line “APO Rush Letter – Spring ‘18” by Wednesday, February 14th, 11:59 PM EST. Late letters will not be accepted!
Once you have completed Rush, you will receive an email about attending ONE Inductions Ceremony.
Inductions #1: 02/15 @5:30-6:30pm, RPCC 218 (RPCC Multipurpose Room)
Inductions #2: 02/16 @5:00-6:00pm, Appel Multipurpose Room
INFORMATION SESSIONS [You will need to attend 1 Information Session during RUSH]
Information Session #1: 02/04 @5:00-6:00pm, Malott 251
Information Session #2: 02/09 @6:00-7:00pm, Rockefeller 230
Information Session #3: 02/11 @4:00-5:00pm, Goldwin Smith G76
SERVICE EVENTS [You will need to attend 2 Service events during RUSH]
1) Chop and Chat: 02/05 @6:30-7:30pm, Malott 406
Have you ever wanted to be a chef like Gordon Ramsey? Want to meet your new best friends as well? Come and make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that will be donated to Ithaca Rescue Mission!
2) Dog Treat Making: 02/06 @7:00-8:00pm, Malott 251
Who doesn’t love dogs? Come and make dog treats (please don’t eat them) for the fluffy friends of Guiding Eyes for the Blind.
3) Fabulous Finger Knitting: 02/07 @6:30-7:30pm, Goldwin Smith 142
While our dear Jamie might be gone, she has passed done her beloved service event to her favorite great grand little. This semester we will be making scarves to donate to Catholic Charities and the homeless community in Ithaca.
No previous finger knitting experience necessary. I’ll be teaching the basics at the beginning of every event 🙂
4) Rescue Mission Clothing Sorting: 02/09 @3:30-4:30pm, Location TBD
5) Tompkins County Public Library Bookmark Making: 02/09 @5:00-6:00pm, Morrill 106
Have you ever lost your spot in a book and can’t seem to find it again? Are you craving to help others spice up their reading? Come and make bookmarks that will be donated to TCPL and release your creative side!
6) Chili Fest: 02/10 @12:00pm-1:30pm & 1:30-3:00pm (two different shifts), Ithaca Commons
!This event is muy muy caliente! Volunteer at Ithaca’s annual chili fest in the Ithaca Commons and experience the spice of life! Service will entail ticket sales and assisting local cookers.
Shift #1: We will meet at Baker Flagpole @11:30am and ride the 11:44am Route 72 bus to the Commons – look for an APO brother wearing APO letters or holding a sign!
Shift #2: We will meet at Baker Flagpole @1:00pm, and ride the 1:14pm Route 72 bus to the Commons – look for an APO brother wearing APO letters or holding a sign!
7) Collegetown Cleanup: 02/11 @11:00am-12:00pm, Schwartz Performing Arts Center (Collegetown)
Come join us in cleaning up our home away from home! Gloves and trash bags will be provided.
8) Coffee Sleeve Scripts: 02/11 @6:30-7:30pm, GSH G76
Mornings cannot start without an ol’ cup of joe! Join our very own Joanna Hua as we embark on our mission to brighten people’s days by decorating coffee sleeves that will be featured in Mann Library
9) Letters Against Depression (Rush Edition): 02/13 @7:15-8:15pm, GSH 132
“We have a simple, but robust mission: to help people afflicted with depression. We do that by hand writing letters of support and inspiration, spreading the message that “You are not alone” and that “You matter” – Letters Against Depression Website
Write letters to unwind, share some love, and help out someone who may be struggling. Your words will make a difference.
10) Random Acts of Kindness: 02/14, 3:30-4:30pm, Ho Plaza
Spread some love with the candy-filled origami boxes made during the RUSH Fellowship event on 02/12 on this day of love. Meet us on Ho Plaza to give out these sweet surprises!
FELLOWSHIP EVENTS [You will need to attend 1 Fellowship event during RUSH]
1) Ice Cream Social: 02/07, 8:00-9:00pm, WSH Memorial Room
Did someone say ice cream and new friends?
2) Minute to Win it: 02/08, 7:45-8:45pm, McGraw 165
Junk Trunk? Cookie Face? Guy Fieri? Join us in a Minute to Win it team challenge extravaganza!
3) Hot Chocolate and Chat: 02/08, 8:00-9:00pm, McGraw 165
Come drink hot chocolate, meet new people, and engage in meaningful discussion!
4) Board Games Galore: 02/09 @7:15-8:15pm, GSH144, GSH156, GSH158, GSH181
Play your favorite board games with the brothers of APO!! Feel free to bring your own games!!
5) Sports Hour: 02/10 @4:30-5:30pm, Helen Newman Court #2
Let’s get physical! Come have a good time playing friendly games of badminton and basketball!!
6) Game Show Night: 02/11 @5:15-6:15pm, Malott 251
Think you can win a game show? Now’s your chance! Come show us what you got playing classic game show games like Jeopardy and Family Feud!
7) Outstanding Origami: 02/12 @4:30-5:30pm, Goldwin Smith 132
Ever wanted to take a crack at origami? Come gain a new skill and new friends!! No experience necessary!
8) Music Hour: 02/14 @8:00-9:00pm, Goldwin Smith G76
Come have some good old fashion fun and let your inner star shine playing some music themed games!
1) Diversity Day: 02/06 @6:00-7:00pm, Malott 228
This workshop will focus on how different backgrounds affect interactions, and how to effectively tackle these differences that don’t erase diversity
2) Rainbow Day: 02/08 @6:30-7:30pm, RPCC 101, 103, 105
This workshop will focus on how various opinions and perceptions affect interactions, and how to take into account these opinions respectfully while reaching compromises.
3) Personal Day: 02/10 @3:30-4:30pm, GSH 132
This workshop will focus on your personal values and goals, and how they shape your actions and interactions with others.
4) Galentine’s Day: 02/14 @7:00-8:00pm, GSH G64
This workshop will focus on leadership within a team of equals, as well as how to manage efficiency with weaknesses present.
Thank you all for your interest! If you have any questions, email the pledgemaster, Joanna Hua, at firstname.lastname@example.org